The marketing automation is a discipline of the digital marketing that is trend among traditional business and e-commerce. Through a series of automations we manage to speed up the sending of emails to customers, saving resources and optimizing our time. There are many reasons to start using this marketing technique for e-commerce but the main one is that it generates engagement, increases sales and allows us to generate an effective communication channel with the consumer .
But how does email automation work in online stores ? So that it is understood correctly we are going to explain it with a practical example.
Example mail automation campaign in an e-commerce
Let’s take a jewelry e-commerce as an example . It is a small product catalog and the quality of the products is its maximum competitive advantage.
The first step is to identify the source of entry of the leads or DB. We can use a Customer Database that already exists or create lists of those users who contact the e-commerce through the contact forms.
Next, we choose the tool to manage the email automation campaign and configure the contact forms to synchronize it with the program’s database lists. We create different lists:
- Customer who has completed the purchase
- Client who has requested information through the contact form
- Customer who has abandoned the shopping cart
The next step is the most important moment of all, we create the email network or workflow . How can we create it? We detail the automations and events of the email network of the example of the list to request information about a product from the store . Remember that each submission tree will be tailored to the buyer persona that makes up the contact list , so the content will be personalized.
- Sending a welcome email with information about high-quality handcrafted jewelry products. A call to action to the online store is included for you to see the full range of products.
- If the customer does not open the email, it is sent again within 3 days.
- If the customer has opened it but has not visited the online store, we will send another email within 5 days with information about the manufacturing process of the products . A CTA is also included for you to visit the online store
- If 7 days have passed since this last email and you have not purchased yet, we will send quality content in ebook format. In this case it may be about the latest trends in wedding rings, the engraving of the rings and the meaning of the materials.
- If the client who has clicked on a call to action during this entire process or has downloaded the ebook will add 15 points to his score lead . This means that each time you interact, you earn points, so the e-commerce customer service will establish contact through a call when you reach 30 points. Offering a personalized and close treatment. The lead score helps us filter the contacts who are really interested from those who have yet to mature the purchase.
- After the phone call we will better understand the client’s needs , we can include it in the list of: alliances, engagement rings, men’s jewelry, women’s jewelry …
- After 3 days of the phone call, a personalized email is sent to the desired product.
- If 30 days have passed and the customer has not yet converted, an email will be sent with a 10% e-commerce discount coupon .
A different tree will be created for each contact list. For the automations to work correctly in the e-commerce email automation plan, it is necessary to put yourself in the contact situation and configure all the possible scenarios.
It is recommended to create an email network with 10 different automations. Now it’s up to you to create the email tree!